Friday, February 15, 2019

Tasting: Oceans Away Sparkling Pineapple Wine

Name: Oceans Away Sparkling Pineapple Wine
Variety: Sparkling Fruit Wine
Region: McMinnville, Oregon,
Country: USA
Year: No year
Price: $4.99/ 375mL

Critic Review: Winery Direct
You'll instantly be transported to the tropical, sandy beaches of Hawaii with this exciting sparkler. Pineapple aromas jump out of the glass and on the palate, with nuances of mango and coconut. Medium bodied with crisp bubbles, this is the perfect warm weather refresher.

My Review: There is an immediate smack of pineapple when you take the first sniff. It smells tangy, and the grapes come through. On tasting it, I found more pineapple, but also some unidentifiable light berry, some citrus, and mango. This reminds me a lot of a pineapple beer I've had in that it's pineapple first but you can feel the true nature of the beverage laying underneath. I could tell this was a sparkling white wine underneath. It was almost like a pineapple mimosa that you would want to enjoy after an afternoon swim rather than at brunch. The feeling that comes from pineapple when you eat it (the tang and instant identification of any mouth cuts) is just heightened by the bubbles present. This does not make it unpleasant, but it defines the experience. I expected it to be sweet, because it comes from a can and boasts pineapple, but it's more dry than anything. I did not try this with food, but I feel like it would be good with grilled chicken and pineapple chunks over rice on a beach in Hawaii.

To address the can: I drank this out of a glass and did not particularly notice that it came out of a can. It did not taste particularly metallic, and I do not think that the can ruined the experience. It's for sure an interesting way to drink wine, but not to be dismissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment